We make voting easier through varied voter education programs.
The League of Women Voters conducts voter service and citizen education activities. It is a nonpartisan nonprofit public policy educational organization, which:
- Builds citizen participation in the democratic process.
- Studies key community issues at all government levels in an unbiased manner.
- Enables people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management.
The League of Women Voters of Metropolitan Des Moines is a 501(c)3 organization. Donations made to the Metro League are tax deductibe. Dues, however, are not tax deductible.
Voter Registration Activities
There are 3 types of voter registration activities for which we always need volunteers. If you want to volunteer, please contact Christi Gerken by calling 402-740-0198 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
|# of naturalization ceremonies||4||48|
|# of voter registrations||182||1509|
- U.S. Courthouse Naturalization Ceremonies, 123 E. Walnut, Des Moines. The courthouse entrance faces the "back side" of the Embassy Suites. If you are volunteering, arrive by 10:45 AM in Room 245. The ceremony begins at 11 AM. Upcoming dates:
Friday, Jan. 10, 2020
Friday, Feb. 7, 2020
Friday, March 13, 2020 - no LWV participation due to COVID-19 concerns
Friday, April 10, 2020 - no LWV participation due to COVID-19 concerns
Friday, May 1, 2020
Friday, June 12, 2020 - at Jordan House, 2001 Fuller Rd., WDM
Saturday, July 4, 2020 - at Iowa Cubs, Principal Stadium 1 Line Drive, DM
Friday, Aug.14, 2020
Friday, Sept. 18, 2020
Friday, Oct. 2, 2020
Friday, Nov. 13, 2020
Friday, Dec. 11, 2020
2. Neal Smith Federal Building Naturalization Ceremonies, 210 Walnut, Des Moines. There is a parking garage just south of the Federal building - enter through the skywalk entrance. The ceremonies are conducted by USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). Until notified restrictions have changed - Naturalization ceremonies are not open to LWV voter registration due to COVID-19 concerns.
3. At other Events which we offer voter registration. These are "other" events we are aware of. More will be added as we are notified.
Wednesday, April 29 – Wakonda Club – Chrysalis Foundation – 11:30 AM to 1 PM – Conversation “The Rest of the Story”
Thursday, May 7- 60 Years of Struggle: The Women's Suffrage Movement in Iowa - 6:30 PM Franklin Library, 5000 Franklin Avenue, Des Moines.
Thursday, May 14 - The Yellow Rose of Suffrage: The Story of Carrie Chapman Catt - 6:30 PM Franklin Library, 5000 Franklin Avenue, Des Moines.
Sunday, May 17- Latino Resource Fair (LRF) - El Malecom Event Center, 6550 Bloomfield Rd, Des Moines, IA 50320 from 1:00pm -4:00pm.
Wednesday, May 20 – Wakonda Club – Chrysalis Foundation – 11:30 to 1 PM.
Monday, September 28– Franklin Avenue Library – Voter Registration Day
Date to be determined in the fall - Celebration at Artisan Gallery 218 in Valley Junction -the completion of 19 Suffragist portraits by Mary Kline Misol